With the growing popularity of Cyber Monday sales and explosion of all types of eCommerce, employees are more than likely tempted to shop during work hours. There are a lot of promotions exclusively available to online shoppers that take place during a business’ hour of operations. Many companies allow occasional use of company time for personal use. However, some employees are going to take advantage of this generosity and abuse the privilege.
Online Shopping at Work - By the numbers.
- 53 percent of employees are using time at work to shop online, an increase from last year.
- 49 percent of employees use their personal smart phones or tablets to shop at work, an increase from 42 percent last year.
Here’s a few ideas that might help you address the issue of excessive use of the Internet for personal purposes:
- Develop a solid Internet and email policy that provides employees with clear expectations about the employer's stance on personal time online at work. Follow through with enforcement of the policy when necessary.
- Train your managers and supervisors about how to establish and maintain the expectations and policies of your workplace. Train them to recognize when an employee might be abusing their Internet access at work.
- Designate times and/or durations that your team is allowed to use company Internet for personal purposes. Stress that those who don’t comply with designated time/duration will lose the privilege altogether.
- For those businesses that are looking for a more aggressive approach to handling Internet abuse, consider implementing a web content filter. Web filters give you access control, allowing you to decide which websites your team can access. Filter settings can be deployed company wide, as well as individually for specific user permissions.
Since no two companies are alike, you may have to use trial and error to curb Internet abuse by your staff. Whatever you choose to do, Argentum IT LLC can help. We can design an Internet usage policy that works for your company, or implement content filtering or other solutions to keep your staff on-task and productive. Contact us today at (502) 473-6407.